There is no web named "" error

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:07 PM

Hi Paul,

I've installed your solution and would really like to get it working, but I'm having the following problem :-

There is no Web named "".   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)

The only difference in my dev installation is that I have not created a DNS entry for a custom URL, I've simply used a web application with a name of http://<servername>:port/

I've completed the command 'stsadm -o copyappbincontent' on each server just as other solutions suggest as I was getting a 'PageTitle' error originally, but now that's changed to this error.

Can you offer some advice?

Many thanks,
Jason.

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:20 PM

Just as a follow up, I've retracted the solution and re-deployed it creating a new web application with a dns name that I've referenced on the servers host file and on my local machine and I'm still getting the above error. Finally able to get something out of the logs too :-

Timestamp               Process                                  TID    Area                           Category                       EventID Level      Message  Correlation
09/17/2009 14:12:54.68  Liebrand.UrlShortener, Version= (0x0720) 0x0D80 LiebrandUrlShortener           LiebrandUrlShortener           LSUS High     Microsoft.SharePoint.SPException: There is no Web named "". ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x81070504): There is no Web named "".     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetProperties()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPPropertyBag..ctor(GetProperties getProperties, UpdateProperties updateProperties)     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Properties()     at Liebrand.UrlShortener.URLShortener.<>c__DisplayClass1.<GetShortUrl>b__0()     at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.CodeToRunElevate

Any advice?
Thanks,

Jason.

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2009 at 1:34 PM

Jason,

At what part are you getting this issue?  Is it during the deployment? Or are you attempting to access one of the screens (as in the Central Admin Settings screen, or when you attempt to actually shorten the URL)

Thanks,

Paul Liebrand

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:31 PM

Paul,

Thanks for the quick response. The solution was deployed normally and no issues were experienced.

This error occurs when I atempt to actually shorten the URL.

Thanks,
Jason.

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2009 at 4:17 PM

Jason,

You did go to the "SharePoint URL Shortener Settings" page in Central Admin and "Set" the web application that will be shortening the URLs before attempting to actually use the shortener right?

Paul Liebrand

Sep 17, 2009 at 4:48 PM

Paul,

I see what you mean. Yes, I did go there and click the 'Set' button, but there's no visual clue that it's accepted the change when I've done it on my environment, other than the page just comes straight back to me. Is there a way to query that setting in the database somewhere?

Thanks,
Jason.

Coordinator
Sep 17, 2009 at 5:42 PM

Jason,

Currently, the associated URL is stored in the property bag of the Central Admin site collection. You can view this property bag using the SharePoint Manager 2007 tool.

I'll add a confirmation message to the next version to the solution.

Paul Liebrand

Sep 18, 2009 at 9:09 AM

Paul,

I've found the URL in the property bag that you mentioned above - took a little finding! It's set correctly as I expected it to be, so I guess the problem is related to something else?
Thanks,

Jason.

Feb 27, 2010 at 12:39 AM

I'm having this same problem.  It occurs when I try to generate a Short URL.  Any assistance is greatly appreciated.  I believe I have followed all steps in the instructions and have a dns entry pointing to my development server.  Currently testing out the solution, but definitely interested in using in production eventually. Thanks!

Coordinator
Feb 27, 2010 at 4:22 AM

Can you please describe your SharePoint configuration?  Is it 1 server? or more?

Mar 2, 2010 at 3:48 AM
Edited Mar 2, 2010 at 4:06 AM

It's a standalone development server with both SharePoint and SQL Server running on it.

I setup the Web Application with a url of http://spdev using port 80 and anonymous access turned on.  When I try to access the url from another location I get:

"HTTP/1.1 404 Connection: close Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 04:44:48 GMT Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0 X-Powered-By: ASP.NET MicrosoftSharePointTeamServices: 12.0.0.6504."  I believe this tells me the DNS entry is working since I didn't create a site collection at the top-level.

After I turned off custom messages I got

"There is no Web named "".   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl)
"

I deleted the web application, removed the solution, and then started from scratch just to be sure, but ran into the same error.  Thanks for your help!  Sorry for the late response.  I forgot to check the box to get an alert when you replied.

I checked the property bag in central admin, and the value was what I expected.

Mar 2, 2010 at 4:15 AM
Edited Mar 10, 2010 at 5:19 AM

I made some progress.  I went into the logs and found this:

Insufficient SQL database permissions for user 'xxxxx' in database 'SharePoint_AdminContent_{guid}' on SQL Server instance 'server-name'. Additional error information from SQL Server is included below.  The EXECUTE permission was denied on the object 'proc_GetWebMetainfo', database 'SharePoint_AdminContent_{guid}', schema 'dbo'.  

I use a separate application pool account on my web apps from central admin.  It seems that the account doesn't have permission to execute the stored procedure that is being called at some point.  I granted it the EXECUTE permission and am no longer getting the error message above, but am getting a prompt for credentials.  I don't know why I'm being prompted, but I made sure that the URL shortener web application is set to anonymous access.

This is the URL for the page where I got the access denied:

http://server-name:port/_layouts/AccessDenied.aspx?Source=server-name:port/_layouts/Liebrand.UrlShortener/GenerateItem.aspx?List={26F70EA8-F070-4149-B937-7179192A9A80}&ItemId=1&Source=http://server-name:port/Library/Forms/AllItems.aspx&Type=list&name={4686D714-E9C9-4239-BE72-26E79DA56DC5}

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:46 AM

I've spent some time looking into this and got your solution working in my environment and am fairly certain I've figured out the problem (along with problems brought up in other discussions)...which may surface a deeper solution problem.

This issue appears to be that the service accounts that the application pools are running under don't have access to the necessary resources to get your solution running in what I would imagine is most SharePoint environments.  Microsoft's best practice is to use different accounts for different application pools, but since your solution stores necessary settings in the Central Admin Property Bag, the account that a web application is running as might not have the permissions to either Central Administration or, as noted above, SQL Server. 

I think your project is pretty amazing, but it looks like there are some architectural hurdles to overcome to get it working properly. Ideally the solution should work in a scenario where each of the web applications in a farm run under different service accounts.

By the way, I got it to work by adding the service account of the application pool I was trying to generate the Short URL from as a Site Collection Admin on Central Administration.  That might be overkill, and I plan on scaling the permission back to see what works and what doesn't.

Thank you so much for your contribution to CodePlex!!!

Coordinator
Mar 10, 2010 at 5:07 AM

Thank you for your insightful research -- I'll definitely take all this into account as I am working on the next release.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Edited Jan 30, 2012 at 9:07 AM
mdcamp00 wrote:

By the way, I got it to work by adding the service account of the application pool I was trying to generate the Short URL from as a Site Collection Admin on Central Administration.  That might be overkill, and I plan on scaling the permission back to see what works and what doesn't.

I don't understand what to do, to get it working. I have a similar error here.

I've created a Web Application named url.company.tld, activated Anonymous Access and grant Domain Users write permissons on the SharePoint URL Shortener list. I followed all the instructions in the installation guide.

<nativehr>0x81070504</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>There is no Web named "".

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: <nativehr>0x81070504</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack> There is no Web named"".

Stack Trace:

[COMException (0x81070504): <nativehr>0x81070504</nativehr><nativestack></nativestack>There is no Web named "".]
   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequestInternalClass.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl) +0
   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl) +127

[SPException: There is no Web named "".]
   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPGlobal.HandleComException(COMException comEx) +27254482
   Microsoft.SharePoint.Library.SPRequest.GetWebMetainfo(String bstrUrl) +208
   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.GetProperties() +106
   Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SPPropertyBag..ctor(GetProperties getProperties, UpdateProperties updateProperties) +62
   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPWeb.get_Properties() +130
   Liebrand.UrlShortener.<>c__DisplayClass4.<DoesCustomNameExist>b__3() +88
   Microsoft.SharePoint.<>c__DisplayClass4.<RunWithElevatedPrivileges>b__2() +729
   Microsoft.SharePoint.Utilities.SecurityContext.RunAsProcess(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) +27491206
   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(WaitCallback secureCode, Object param) +27194345
   Microsoft.SharePoint.SPSecurity.RunWithElevatedPrivileges(CodeToRunElevated secureCode) +93
   Liebrand.UrlShortener.URLShortener.DoesCustomNameExist(String customName) +102
   Liebrand.UrlShortener.GenerateItem.ValidateCustomEntry(Object source, ServerValidateEventArgs args) +37
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.CustomValidator.OnServerValidate(String value) +147
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.BaseValidator.Validate() +101
   System.Web.UI.Page.Validate() +117
   System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +105
   System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +29
   System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2981

Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56 AM
Edited Feb 26, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Hi Paul,

I deployed URL shortener in a farm ( 2 sharepoint server + 1 database server).Before deployed, the farm have been created a web application port 80 with no host header and we run a site by server name on this.
Now, when i deployed url shortener in this farm successfully as guide excep the step that create new web application port 80 because there is existing web app like that. When i create short URL, error occured: "There is no Web named "".
I think of "host header" reason and create host name in IIS, error still occured.

Could you pls help me solve this error? Thank you very much!