SharePoint URL Shortener Settings Error

Dec 1, 2009 at 10:09 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2009 at 10:11 PM

Hello,

I had a user that was having troubles with long URLs in SharePoint and this little app looks like it's exactly what I want to help him overcome this issue however I've run into a spot of trouble trying to set it up. I've followed the directions and I've read the other posts but when I click "SharePoint URL Shortener Settings" in Global Configuration I get the "Unknown Error". I know there are a few posts about it so I apologize in advance if this should have been added to another post but I figured since it was a different problem and the solutions that were provided didn't work I thought I would create a new topic. So here's what I did:

1. Followed the directions in the PDF and successfully added and deployed the solution to all content URLS

2. Ran the STSADM -o copyappbincontent on the server (small farm deployment...one server for app/web/index and one server for DB)

3. Verifyied that the solution was deployed by looking in Solution Management in Central Administration

4. Activated the feature in the farm successfully

Everything seems like it should work, there are no errors in the event log, but when I click the link for the settings page I get unknown error. I have turned custom errors off in the web application that is hosting Central Admin but I still get the friendly error message. Any idea what steps I can try next to get the URL shortener to work?

Thanks!