Reducing Steps

Aug 31, 2009 at 9:05 AM

Firstly, I love the tool.  It is quite helpful.  My only suggestion might be the following:

Do you think it would be possible to reduce the steps necessary to obtain the shortened URL to the clip board?  Rather than having the context menu firing the URL form, it pulls the data in a way that is transparent to the user directly. 

Coordinator
Sep 1, 2009 at 4:24 PM

Cotto,

So what you are suggestion is that the user simply clicks on "Generate Short URL" and it just goes straight into the clipboard with redirecting them to the other screen?  Do I have that correct?

Thanks,

Paul Liebrand

Sep 2, 2009 at 12:34 AM

Paul, I'm envisioning the 'copy shortcut' or 'copy link location' (depending on your browser flavor).  Of course I cannot think of how this would work without assigning a short url upon upload.  The reason for the suggestion is sometimes it is necessary to gather several urls from a list and the current process requires many page changes that draws out the process.

Coordinator
Sep 2, 2009 at 4:57 PM

Interesting idea.  Let me give it some thought and see if I can come up with a way to implement this as an option.

Coordinator
Sep 3, 2009 at 11:07 PM
Cotto, How much granularity would you want over this addition? Would you like to turn it on document library by document library, or for an entire web, or site collection (or all of the above =) ). Paul Liebrand
Sep 4, 2009 at 7:18 AM

Personally, I plan on using this within my entire site collection.