Unknown error" setting SUS from Central Admin

Sep 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM

I installed the software first in a single-server development environment and had no difficulty.

Production has 2 WFE servers (SPI1 and SPI2) and 1 app server (SPI3).  To move into production, I

-Altered the DNS entry to point to the production app server (SPI3)

- Ran the addsolution and deploysolution commands from SPI3.

- Ran the copyappbincontent command from SPI1, SP2 and the SQL Reporting Services server which has a SharePoint-integrated RS instance.

- Created the application (with its own Web site and app pool run by the Network Service) for the SUS feature.

- Activated the feature at the farm and site collection (x2) levels.

Attempting to use Central Admin --> Operations --> Global Config --> SharePoint URL Shortener Settings returns "Unknown Error."

Nothing has shown up in Windows Event Logs or in the logs in the 12/Logs folder.  I see events before and after my attempt to set SUS settings.

All servers have had a full IISReset and a reboot since this was installed (patches were last night).

Deactivating the feature in development and deleting its Web app and Web site have not resolved the symptoms.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2009 at 7:57 PM

The "unknown error" is caused by the fact that the resources files have not been deployed to the web application.

There are two scenarios that I have seen that can cause this:

1)  "stsadm -o copyappbincontent" was not run on all WFE

2) When deploying the solution, make sure you deploy it to ALL content URLS (and also run the stsadm -o copyappbincontent)

Based on what you are saying above, you already did scenario 1 -- verify that the solution has been deployed to all content URLs.  If it was not, please make sure you deploy it to all and then run the copyappbincontent operation again.

Thanks,

Paul Liebrand

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:23 PM

Thanks, Paul.  Repeating step 1 worked.  I had deployed to all content URLs as in step 2, but it appears that one or more servers had failed to copy the app bin content on the first try.

I had the impression that the error I would get in such a circumstance would be "File Not Found," so I hadn't considered this.

The most likely culprit was the app server on which the tinyurl Web site had been created, because I don't remember doing it there (figuring it already had all the content, since that was where I installed it).  The SSRS server must have worked the first time.  I also did the two WFEs again, just in case.  After I'd verified all three, the SUS app worked perfectly.

Coordinator
Sep 30, 2009 at 9:33 PM

Awesome!  I am glad you got it working.  I am going to true streamline the whole "copyappbincontent" process in the next release because that seems to be the main issue people are experiencing.  Trying to add localization and paying the price =)

Paul Liebrand

Sep 30, 2009 at 9:57 PM
Well, I think adding localization is a great idea, so I wouldn't want to
stop you there. And your instructions are quite clear. Not sure how you
could improve it without either automating that step somehow or putting in
a reminder "If you get _______ result, re-run the copyappbincontent command
again on all SharePoint WFE/App servers (not necessary on SQL / SSRS)."
Some people I've field-tested documentation with like the reminders; others
get impatient with them. So it's a tough call.

William Hickox Windows Administrator | Infrastructure

World Vision Canada | 1 World Drive | Mississauga, Ontario | L5T 2Y4
Tel. 905-565-6200 x3830 | Mobile 416-294-2228 | Skype William.Hickox |

World Vision is a Christian relief, development and advocacy organization
dedicated to working with children, families and communities to overcome
poverty and injustice.
Our vision for every child, life in all its fullness;
Our prayer for every heart, the will to make it so.

This transmission is intended for the sole use of the individual and entity to whom it is addressed, and may contain information that is confidential and may not be disclosed under applicable law. You are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or duplication of this transmission by someone other than the intended addressee or its designated agent is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by return e-mail and delete the original message. Thank you. This disclaimer may not be removed for any purpose.

Cette transmission est pour l'usage exclusif du destinataire auquel elle s?adresse. Elle pourrait contenir des renseignements confidentiels et, conform?ment ? la loi applicable, ne peut ?tre divulgu?e. Veuillez noter que la diffusion, distribution ou duplication de cette transmission par une tierce personne ou son repr?sentant est strictement interdite. Si vous avez re?u cette communication par erreur, veuillez nous en avertir imm?diatement par retour du courriel et supprimer le message original. Cet avertissement ne peut en aucun cas ?tre retir?. Merci de votre collaboration.